2018 Grant Recipients
EL GRUPO YOUTH CYCLING
6th Year Grant-$7,700
Agency Background: El Grupo is a youth cycling organization that provides youth with experiences that are fun, skill-building and bike-centered, so that they can acquire the self-confidence and leadership skills to be active and healthy members of the community. Our mission is to empower youth through bicycles.
Focus of 2018 Grant: Education Support for El Grupo Youth:
- Ongoing academic support through staff and pairing with volunteer tutors.
- Mondays 3-6pm “Structured and Open Hours Mechanics” workshops.
- Specific sessons for youth and parents on College Prep – study sessions, making resources available, assistance with essays and scholarship applications.
- Build-a-Bike intensive mechanic skills workshops from May – August.
Measureable Results: In 2017, El Grupo more than doubled their clubhouse facility space and were able to dedicate a much larger, better space to both academic study and bike mechanics education. Both areas are now even more central to helping them fulfill their mission.
- El Grupo has grown to include 7 days/week programs.
- Practices are 5 times per week, academic hours and mechanic hours.
- Outside outreach events, races and adventures for youth aged 12-18.
- Youth spend an average of 50 hrs/month engaged in leadership and cycling development.
Contact: Daniela Diamente, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org