2017 Grant Recipients
SAN MIGUEL HIGH SCHOOL-5th Year Grant-$16,000
Agency Background: San Miguel is a private, Catholic High School that provides a quality college and career preparatory education to students from families of limited financial means. Established in 2004, San Miguel is part of the Cristo Rey Network, which employs a work-study model. This corporate internship program allows students to work five days a month at entry-level positions in a variety of professional and non-profit fields throughout their 4 years of high school. The wages the students earn pay for approximately 60% of their tuition.
Focus of the 2017 Grant: College Counseling Program The college counseling program gives low-income students the opportunity to explore the main options they have to further their education after high school. The program assists students in completing college applications, organizing college visit trips, filling out financial aid and scholarship forms, researching various college and summer enrichment programs, and more. 80% of San Miguel students are the first in their families to go to college. This year San Miguel hired an additional part-time counselor to work with the growing number of students that San Miguel serves.
- Every student will complete and submit a minimum of 5 college applications.
- 100% of graduating seniors will be accepted to college.
- Every senior student will visit a minimum of one in-state college visit per year.
- Collectively the senior class will earn a minimum of $2.5 million in financial aid in the form of grants and scholarships.
- All counseling staff members should attend a minimum of 2 workshops during the 2017-2018 academic school year.
Contact: Travis Craddock, Assoc. Director of Advancement firstname.lastname@example.org