2015 Grant Recipients
PAINTED SKY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PTO
3rd Year Finding
Agency Background: The PTO was established in 2000 to promote positive relations and partnerships in the Painted Sky community, coordinate programs that enhance the quality of education and raise funds not provided by the Amphitheater District for education excellence. Faced with budget cuts, teacher lay-offs and increased class sizes, the PTO was concerned that struggling third graders would fail the reading portion of the AIMS test and therefore not be promoted to fourth grade. Community volunteers and parents were trained as tutors and teachers referred failing students to the new tutoring program named the “Thunderbird Resource Center”.
Focus of 2015 Grant: Thunderbird Resource Center Tutoring Program SCCF funding will enable the TRC to coordinate programs that enhance the quality of education and raise funds not provided by the Amphitheater District for education excellence.
- Kindergarten: reading assessment improved by 3 reading levels
- 1st graders: Reading assessment improved by 7 reading levels
- 2nd graders: MAP test – Nationwide standardized test given on a computer illustrated improvement by 19 points for reading assessment and reading levels.
- 3rd graders: MAP test-improvement by 16 points, reading assessment improvement 7 levels
- 4 th graders: MAP test-improvement by 12 points
- 5 th graders: MAP test-improvement by 9.5 points
Contact: Heidi Radtke, TRC Coordinator email@example.com